Careers in humanities, museums, and libraries are focused on the study or documentation of human culture. Positions in this field may include topics such as history, fine art, or language and may have a focus on preservation, information technology, research, education, or programming.
Designing your major
Your major may be indirectly or directly related to your career choice, and it’s only one of many pieces to finding a good career fit. There are many majors that are related to humanities, including:
Learn about careers in the field
- Brand Manager
- Fine Artist (Painter, Sculptor, Illustrator)
- Fundraising Manager
- Human Resources Specialist
- Librarian/Media Collections Specialist
- Market Researcher
- Museum Technician and Conservator
- Postsecondary Education and Administration
- Set and Exhibit Designer
Learn through experience
Join a student organization
Student organizations can help us clarify our interests and build experience. Here are a few ideas of organizations in this area:
- Art History Association
- Philosophy Club
- American Library Association
- IU Arts and Humanities Council
- Society of Art Librarianship Students
Volunteering in the community has many benefits for the community and for your personal and professional development. How can you use your knowledge and skills to make a difference?
- Monroe County History Center
- Mathers Museum of World Cultures
- IU Art Museum - Student Programs
- Monroe County Public Library
- The Lilly Library
- Wylie House Museum
Interested in graduate school?
In this field, some common graduate school programs may include Library Science, African American & African Diaspora Studies, Art History, Anthropology, Folklore & Ethnomusicology and many more!
There are many ways to explore careers, through research, gaining experience, and talking with other people. Your career coach is here to mentor you and help you find ways to explore that fit you best.