Develop the skills required to communicate, articulate ideas and experiences effectively with persons inside and outside of your organization across multiple modalities.
A person with communication skills will:
- Communicate in a clear and organized manner so that others can effectively understand.
- Frame communication with respect to diversity of learning styles, varied individual communication abilities, and cultural differences.
- Ask appropriate questions for specific information from supervisors, specialists, and others.
- Promptly inform relevant others when needing guidance with assigned tasks.
Ways to develop
There are many ways for students to develop their oral and written communication skills, including a wide variety of classes and student organizations. Here are just a few examples:
- Kelley School of Business
- BUS-C104 Business Presentations
- BUS-C106 Business Presentations: Honors
- BUS-C204 Business Communication
- BUS-C205 Business Communication: Honors
- BUS-C271 Global Business Analysis - Business Communications
- BUS-C272 Global Business Immersion - Business Communications
- BUS-C301 Communication for Accountants
- BUS-C355 Kelley Consulting
- English Department
- ENG-W231 Professional Writing Skills
- ENG-W240 Community Service Writing
- ENG-W270 Argumentative Writing
- ENG-W280 Literary Editing and Publishing
- ENG-W321 Advanced Technical Writing
Go to beINvolved and do an organization search for up-to-date results as the following list is not likely to be completely comprehensive.
- Toastmasters at the Kelley School of Business
- Mock Trial at IU
- 21st Century Scholars Leadership Corps
- Beth Wood Chapter of Public Relations Student Society of America at IU
- Debate Team at IU
- Report the World at Indiana University