The fields of analysis: mathematics and statistics focus on the collection of information and application of math techniques to solve problems in science, health research, economics, business, engineering, and market research. Statistics aims to organize, interpret, and summarize numerical data in order to provide usable information. The field of mathematics develops models of phenomena, conducts research, and disseminates research.
Designing your major
Your major may be indirectly or directly related to your career choice, and it’s only one of many pieces to finding a good career fit. There are many majors that are related to analysis, math, and statistics, including:
Learn about careers in the field
Learn through experience
Join a student organization
Student organizations can help us clarify our interests and build experience. Here are a few ideas of organizations in this area:
- Business Analytics Club at Kelley
- Data Science Club
- Data Science Club at Indiana University
- Data Visualization at IU
- Machine Learning for All at Indiana University
- Groups Scholars Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (S.T.E.M) Initiative
- STEM Outreach
- Sports Analytics and Business Group at Indiana University
- Sports Analytics and Statistics Club
- CEWiT Student Alliance
- Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science at Indiana University
- Ideation and Creation Entrepreneurs
- Undergraduate Finance Club
Volunteering in the community has many benefits for the community and for your personal and professional development. How can you use your knowledge and skills to make a difference?
Interested in graduate school?
In this field, some common graduate school programs may include Actuarial Science, Applied Mathematics, Data Science, Computer Science, Statistics, Epidemiology, and many more!
There are many ways to explore careers, through research, gaining experience, and talking with other people. Your career coach is here to mentor you and help you find ways to explore that fit you best.