The field of education focuses on the transfer of knowledge, skills, and habits through teaching, training, research, and administration. This field consists of many systems, including preschool, primary, secondary, vocational, alternative, special, and university education.
Designing your major
Your major may be indirectly or directly related to your career choice, and it’s only one of many pieces to finding a good career fit. There are many majors that are related to education, including:
Learn about careers in the field
- Admissions Counselor
- Adult Education Instructor
- Art Teacher
- Community Health Educator
- Dean of Students
- ENL Teacher
- Foreign Language Teacher
- Guidance Counselor
- Instructional Coordinator
- Marching Band Teacher
- Religious Education Teacher
- School Administrator
- School Coach
- School Principal
- School Teacher
- Special Education Teacher
- Textbook Author/Editor
Learn through experience
Join a student organization
Student organizations can help us clarify our interests and build experience. Here are a few ideas of organizations in this area:
- Indiana Student Education Association
- Urban Needs in Teacher Education
- College Mentors for Kids
- Student Council for Exceptional Children
Volunteering in the community has many benefits for the community and for your personal and professional development. How can you use your knowledge and skills to make a difference?
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of South Central Indiana
- Bloomington Graduation School
- Monroe County Community Schools
- Bloomington Community Orchard
- Reimagining Opera for Kids
- Monroe County YMCA
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Bloomington
Interested in graduate school?
In this field, some common graduate school programs may include counseling education, curriculum studies, educational policy, and many more!
There are many ways to explore careers, through research, gaining experience, and talking with other people. Your career coach is here to mentor you and help you find ways to explore that fit you best.