Life science is a career field focused on the discovery and management of knowledge, products, and processes associated with living organisms. Positions in this field may include research and development, laboratory/field work, and sales that focus on improving lives by bringing together technology and sciences.
Designing your major
Your major may be indirectly or directly related to your career choice, and it’s only one of many pieces to finding a good career fit. There are many majors that are related to life science, including:
Learn about careers in the field
Learn through experience
Join a student organization
Student organizations can help us clarify our interests and build experience. Here are a few ideas of organizations in this area:
- Advocates for Science at IU
- Animal Club
- Biology Club
- Chemistry Club
- The National Student Speech, Language and Hearing Association at Indiana University
- Neuroscience Club
- Psychology Club
- Science Outreach Society
- Student Organization for Cognitive Science
- STEM Outreach at Indiana University
- American Medical Women’s Association at Indiana University
- Student Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics at IU
- The Neuroscience Club at Indiana University
- HOSA Future Health Professionals at IU
- The Journal of Undergraduate Research at Indiana University
- Nu Rho Psi
- Groups STEM Student Organization
- Intra Collegiate Emergency Medical Service at Indiana University
Volunteering in the community has many benefits for the community and for your personal and professional development. How can you use your knowledge and skills to make a difference?
- Bloomington Parks
- IU Health
- IU Hilltop Gardens and Nature Center
- Monroe County Humane Association
- Bloomington Health Center
- Wildcare Inc
- Wonderlab Museum of Science, Health, and Technology
Interested in graduate school?
In this field, some common graduate school programs may include Medical School, Biology, Cognitive Science, and Psychology.
Integrated Programs in the Environment
"The Integrated Program in the Environment (IPE) provides leadership at Indiana University Bloomington to facilitate a flourishing network of faculty, staff and students in collaborative and interdisciplinary academic programs, research initiatives, and outreach efforts focused on the environment and sustainability."
Health Professions & Prelaw Center (HPPLC)
"The Health Professions and Prelaw Center provides advising and other services for students who want to pursue careers in law, medicine, and other health professions. HPPLC works closely with IU students throughout their undergraduate years to help them become thoughtful, well-prepared, competitive applicants to professional programs."
There are many ways to explore careers, through research, gaining experience, and talking with other people. Your career coach is here to mentor you and help you find ways to explore that fit you best.