Marketing, advertising, and public relations is a field focused on the creation, management, and implementation of a message or brand from an organization to its constituents. The positions in this field aim to persuade a targeted constituency about specific products, messages, goods, or views. They are often charged with maintaining or developing a positive relationship with the public.
Designing your major
Your major may be indirectly or directly related to your career choice, and it’s only one of many pieces to finding a good career fit. There are many majors that are related to marketing, advertising, and public relations, including:
Learn about careers in the field
- Advertising and Promotions Manager
- Advertising Sales Agent
- Agents and Business Managers of Artists, Performers, and Athletes
- Art Director
- Business Intelligence Analysts
- Graphic Designer
- Marketing Manager
- Market Research Analyst
- Public Relations Specialist
- Search Marketing Strategist
- Special Effects Artist/Animator
Learn through experience
Join a student organization
Student organizations can help us clarify our interests and build experience. Here are a few ideas of organizations in this area:
- American Marketing Association at Indiana University
- Beth Wood Chapter of Public Relations Student Society of America at IU
- National Association of Hispanic Journalists
- Sport Marketing Alliance at Indiana University
- The Ad Club at Indiana University
- The Business World of Sports Club
- Union Board
- Women in Media
Volunteering in the community has many benefits for the community and for your personal and professional development. How can you use your knowledge and skills to make a difference?
- Bloomington Early Music Festival (BLEMF)
- Boys and Girls Club of America (PR Volunteers)
- Brown County Humane Society (Marketing)
- City of Bloomington
- Eskenazi Museum of Art
- Habitat for Humanity
- Middle Way House
- The Media School - Service Learning
Interested in graduate school?
In this field, some common graduate school programs may include Marketing and Advertising, Public Relations, Media Management, Ecommerce and Social Media, Journalism, and many more!
There are many ways to explore careers, through research, gaining experience, and talking with other people. Your career coach is here to mentor you and help you find ways to explore that fit you best.