The field of physical science is the study of the physics and chemistry of nature. Positions in this field work in laboratories, conduct experiments, analyze findings, operate necessary equipment, and develop tests and theories in a private research laboratory, government agency, or as a teacher.
Designing your major
Your major may be indirectly or directly related to your career choice, and it’s only one of many pieces to finding a good career fit. There are many majors that are related to physical science, including:
Learn about careers in the field
Learn through experience
Join a student organization
Student organizations can help us clarify our interests and build experience. Here are a few ideas of organizations in this area:
- AAPG Student Chapter at Indiana University
- Chemistry Club
- IU Astronomy Club
- Geography Club
- American Association of Petroleum Geologists Student Chapter at Indiana University
- Undergraduate Physics Club
- Advocates for Science at IU
- Computer Science Club at Indiana University
- Data Science Club at Indiana University
- STEM Outreach at Indiana University
- Materials Research Society at Indiana University
- Electrochemical Society at Indiana University Student Chapter
- The Journal of Undergraduate Research at Indiana University
- INgineering: the Engineering Club at Indiana University
- Groups STEM Student Organization
- IU Center of Excellence for Women & Technology Student Alliance
Volunteering in the community has many benefits for the community and for your personal and professional development. How can you use your knowledge and skills to make a difference?
- Center for Sustainable Living (multiple opportunities available)
- Hoosier Hills Food Bank
- Hoosier to Hoosier Community Sale (H2H)
- Purdue Extension-Monroe County
- Sycamore Land Trust
- WonderLab Museum Of Science Health & Technology
Interested in graduate school?
In this field, some common graduate school programs may include Physics, Astrophysics, Chemistry, and Computer Science.
Integrated Programs in the Environment
"The Integrated Program in the Environment (IPE) provides leadership at Indiana University Bloomington to facilitate a flourishing network of faculty, staff and students in collaborative and interdisciplinary academic programs, research initiatives, and outreach efforts focused on the environment and sustainability."
Health Professions & Prelaw Center (HPPLC)
"The Health Professions and Prelaw Center provides advising and other services for students who want to pursue careers in law, medicine, and other health professions. HPPLC works closely with IU students throughout their undergraduate years to help them become thoughtful, well-prepared, competitive applicants to professional programs."
There are many ways to explore careers, through research, gaining experience, and talking with other people. Your career coach is here to mentor you and help you find ways to explore that fit you best.