Writing and publishing fields focus on the process of creating and disseminating content to a specific constituency or audience. Writing can be broken into four main subcategories: creative writing, technical writing, editing, and journalism. Publishing can be divided into four main subcategories: newspaper and periodical publishing, book publishing, online publishing, and independent publishing (such as self-publishing).
Designing your major
Your major may be indirectly or directly related to your career choice, and it’s only one of many pieces to finding a good career fit. There are many majors that are related to writing and publishing, including:
Learn about careers in the field
- News Reporter
- Technical Writer
- Sports Writer
- Publishing Director
- Investigative Reporter
- Television Reporter
- Creative Director
- Copy Writer
- Arts Administrator
- Film Director
- Circulation Director
- Communications Director
- Research Scientist
Learn through experience
Join a student organization
Student organizations can help us clarify our interests and build experience. Here are a few ideas of organizations in this area:
- Read to Succeed
- Dream Corps at Indiana University
- Moot Court Club at Indiana University
- News-Decoder at Indiana University
- American Student Radio
- Indiana University Student Television
- Society for Professional Journalists at Indiana University
- National Association of Hispanic Journalists at Indiana University
- Online News Association at Indiana University
Volunteering in the community has many benefits for the community and for your personal and professional development. How can you use your knowledge and skills to make a difference?
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of South Central Indiana
- IU Art Museum Editorial/Publications
- Bloomington Playwrights Project
- Brown County Literacy Coalition
- Artisan Alley
Interested in graduate school?
In this field, some common graduate school programs may include law, creative writing, journalism, foreign language literatures, and many more!
There are many ways to explore careers, through research, gaining experience, and talking with other people. Your career coach is here to mentor you and help you find ways to explore that fit you best.