Arts and design is a broad field containing fine and applied arts, both focusing on creating visual art for aesthetic, intellectual, and/or purposeful use. Careers in this cluster require creativity through tasks of designing, producing, exhibiting, and creating multimedia content. Fine arts commonly include painting, sculpture, collage, installation, architecture, photography, and printmaking. Interior and graphic designers utilize traditional fine art methods in conceptual stages; however in later stages they rely on current technological programs to execute their work.
Designing your major
Your major may be indirectly or directly related to your career choice, and it’s only one of many pieces to finding a good career fit. There are many majors that are related to arts and design, including:
Learn about careers in the field
Learn through experience
Join a student organization
Student organizations can help us clarify our interests and build experience. Here are a few ideas of organizations in this area:
- Union Board
- Arts & Humanities Council
- Arts & Humanities First Thursdays
- Grunwald Gallery
- School of Art, Architecture, & Design Creative Centers
- McKinney Visiting Artist Series
- Eskenazi School of Art, Architecture + Design Studio Area Guilds + Clubs
- Visual Arts Community
- Collins Living-Learning Center
- The Black Art Coalition
- International Interior Design Association
Volunteering in the community has many benefits for the community and for your personal and professional development. How can you use your knowledge and skills to make a difference?
- Fourth Street Festival of Arts and Crafts
- Gallery Walk Bloomington
- The Endwright Center
- BOST- Bloomington Open Studios Tours
- Bloomington Entertainment & Arts District (BEAD)
- City of Bloomington Arts Opportunities
- Lotus Education & Arts Foundation
- Service Through Art
- Sidney and Lois Eskenazi Museum of Art Indiana University
- ServeDesign Center
Interested in graduate school?
In this field, some common graduate school programs may include architecture, scenic design, studio art, art therapy, art administration and many more!
There are many ways to explore careers, through research, gaining experience, and talking with other people. Your career coach is here to mentor you and help you find ways to explore that fit you best.