Environmental studies encompasses relations among human beings and nature. Students with a major in this field will learn about environmental footprints and the implications they leave in both regional and global landscapes. An individual interested in this field may be interested in studying Environmental and Sustainability Studies, Environmental Science, Environmental Management, Outdoor Recreation, or Environmental Health. These majors encompass research, real-world application, and nature study.
Designing your major
Your major may be indirectly or directly related to your career choice, and it’s only one of many pieces to finding a good career fit. There are many majors that are related to the environment, including:
Learn about careers in the field
Learn through experience
Join a student organization
Student organizations can help us clarify our interests and build experience. Here are a few ideas of organizations in this area:
- Fair Trade at Indiana University
- Global Environmental Brigades: Panama, at Indiana University
- O'Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs Undergraduate Student Organization
- Real Food Challenge
- Student Sustainability Council
- Timmy Global Health: Water Project at IU
- Beekeeping Club at IU
- Earth Club
- Net Impact: Sustainable Business Club
- Students for a New Green World
- Sustainable Development & Green Design
- American Fisheries Society at Indiana University
- Energy Leaders Student Association at the O’Neill School
- Energy, Environment, and Sustainability Association
- Environmental Law Society
- Goldleaf Growers at IU
- Indiana Forest Alliance at IU
- Mycologists at IU
- Ocean and Marine Conservation Club
Volunteering in the community has many benefits for the community and for your personal and professional development. How can you use your knowledge and skills to make a difference?
- Bloomington Community Bike Project
- The Bloomington Community Orchard
- Center for Sustainable Living (multiple opportunities available)
- Greening Cream & Crimson–IU Athletics
- Hoosier Hills Food Bank
- Hoosier to Hoosier Community Sale (H2H)
- IU Hilltop Garden and Nature Center
- Sustain Collins
Interested in graduate school?
In this field, some common graduate school programs may include Environmental Health, Environmental Science, and Sustainability & Sustainable Development.
Integrated Programs in the Environment
The Integrated Program in the Environment (IPE) provides leadership at Indiana University Bloomington to facilitate a flourishing network of faculty, staff and students in collaborative and interdisciplinary academic programs, research initiatives, and outreach efforts focused on the environment and sustainability.
There are many ways to explore careers, through research, gaining experience, and talking with other people. Your career coach is here to mentor you and help you find ways to explore that fit you best.