Environmental studies encompasses relations among human beings and nature. Students with a major in this field will learn about environmental footprints and the implications they leave in both regional and global landscapes. An individual interested in this field may be interested in studying Environmental and Sustainability Studies, Environmental Science, Environmental Management, Outdoor Recreation, or Environmental Health. These majors encompass research, real-world application, and nature study.
Designing your major
Your major may be indirectly or directly related to your career choice, and it’s only one of many pieces to finding a good career fit. There are many majors that are related to the environment, including:
Learn about careers in the field
- Environmental Consultant
- Environmental Planner
- Food Bank Manager
- GIS Specialist
- Green Building Project Manager
- Environmental Scientist
- Industrial Ecologist
- Environmental Educator
- Outdoor Adventure Leader
- Park Ranger
- Policy Analyst
- Environmental Manager
- Research Scientist
- Sustainability Coordinator
- Parks Department Administrator
- Recreation Manager
- Natural Resource Specialist
Learn through experience
Join a student organization
Student organizations can help us clarify our interests and build experience. Here are a few ideas of organizations in this area:
- AAPG Student Chapter at Indiana University
- Environmental Management and Sustainable Development Association
- Fair Trade at Indiana University
- Global Environmental Brigades: Panama, at Indiana University
- O'Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs Undergraduate Student Organization
- Real Food Challenge
- Student Sustainability Council
- Timmy Global Health: Water Project at IU
Volunteering in the community has many benefits for the community and for your personal and professional development. How can you use your knowledge and skills to make a difference?
- Bloomington Community Bike Project
- The Bloomington Community Orchard
- Center for Sustainable Living (multiple opportunities available)
- Greening Cream & Crimson–IU Athletics
- Hoosier Hills Food Bank
- Hoosier to Hoosier Community Sale (H2H)
- IU Hilltop Garden and Nature Center
- Sustain Collins
Interested in graduate school?
In this field, some common graduate school programs may include Public Affairs, Environmental Law, Joint programs-Masters of Public Administration and Environmental Science, Ecological Design and many more!
Integrated Programs in the Environment
The Integrated Program in the Environment (IPE) provides leadership at Indiana University Bloomington to facilitate a flourishing network of faculty, staff and students in collaborative and interdisciplinary academic programs, research initiatives, and outreach efforts focused on the environment and sustainability.
There are many ways to explore careers, through research, gaining experience, and talking with other people. Your career coach is here to mentor you and help you find ways to explore that fit you best.